Saturday, September 29, 2007

Autism

I have been doing some reading lately and someone named Michelle from Ithica posted something that stuck with me about Autism that I'd like to share on her behalf. She said that you can't look at someone with autism and treat them like they are with cancer, that you have to realize it is who they are and almost like an alien who needs to be loved and nurtured to survive here, we need to care for them and acknowledge them for their essence. I just thought that was pretty moving. On a side note, I wanted to say that the emotional aspect of discussing Autism in reference to families is difficult for some. I think the science behind Autism is difficult to talk about because so much of Autism and Science in general is either theory or unknown and just speculated, but humanity, in all of it's splendor is emotional, and that is something we can all celebrate and cherish.

No comments: